May Event Series: Launch of the UNESCO Chair on Science, Technology and Innovation for Sustainable Development in Latin America
Various speakers, UNU-MERIT, UNESCO et al
UNU-MERIT, in partnership with UNESCO’s Regional Bureau for Sciences in Latin America, will organise a dialogue to discuss the state of Science, Technology & Innovation (ST&I) in the region and outline a plan for joint activities. The overarching objective of this collaboration is to create and reinforce the expertise on the matter of policymakers and researchers. In addition, this partnership will help national and regional decision-makers, policy experts and business sector representatives develop and strengthen their capacities in ST&I policymaking. It will also enhance regional networks of policymakers and researchers by setting a sustainable group of alumni and creating a network seeking to promote policy-relevant research and cooperation on policy reform across Latin America.
1. Prof Pietrobelli will deliver a lecture.
ST&I for Latin America: Challenges
2. A roundtable discussion will follow with the following panellists
The discussion will focus on the following issues: (i) challenges for Latin America in Science, Technology and innovation, and the role of public policies, and (ii) The collaboration between your institutions, UNESCO and UNU-MERIT and how this could contribute to improving research and policy practice in this field.
Each panellist will deliver a 5-minute speech, and then a moderated discussion will follow. Due to the international audience of the event, it will take place in English.
Please register for this event as part of the significant series of activities marking fifteen years since the creation of UNU-MERIT:
About the speaker
- Prof Dr Carlo Pietrobelli, UNESCO Chair on Science, Technology and Innovation for Sustainable Development in Latin America, UNU-MERIT & Roma Tre University
- Guillermo Anllo, Programme Specialist at UNESCO
- Mauricio Cespedes, Director-General of Science, Technology and Innovation at the Vice-Ministry of Science, Technology, Ministry of Education, Bolivia & PhD Fellow at UNU-MERIT.
- Gabriela Dutrenit, Universidad Autónoma de México, Mexico, LALICS and Board Member at UNU-MERIT.
- Matteo Grazzi, Senior Innovation Economist at the Inter-American Development Bank
- Andres Lopez, Director of the Institute of Research for Political Economy, University of Buenos Aires.
- Oswaldo Molina, Universidad del Pacifico, Lima
- Diana Suarez, Universidad Nacional de General Sarmiento, Argentina, and LALICS
- Nicholas Vonortas, University of Campinas, Brazil, and George Washington University, Washington D.C.
Venue: UNU-MERIT | Belvedere and online
Date: 16 May 2022
Time: 15:00 - 16:30 CEST