Residence Permit
PhD fellows coming from countries other than those in Western Europe, and Japan, and staying for more than 90 days in the Netherlands are required before they come to the Netherlands to obtain authorisation for temporary residence (“MVV”). Should a visa be required, the Knowledge Centre for International Staff of Maastricht University will submit a request for authorisation to the Ministry of Justice as soon as possible upon acceptance to the programme. Note that a residence permit will be issued only if the correct procedure was followed in the home country.

All PhD fellows coming from abroad and staying for more than 90 days in the Netherlands are required to report upon arrival to the municipality of Maastricht (‘aliens department’) in order to obtain a residence permit and for registration. The Knowledge Centre for International Staff will help you with these issues once you are registered at Maastricht University.

According to Dutch law, all foreign PhD fellows must have health and liability insurance. PhD fellows may make their own arrangements (coverage by your home insurance) or opt to take insurance offered through UNU-MERIT, at a cost of 36.50 euro per month. This insurance covers, among other things, medical and dental expenses and liability.

If you have private healthcare insurance in your home country, you might want to find out whether your policy also covers your medical bills in the Netherlands. If not, you will need to take out Dutch insurance.

Average living costs
The following is a realistic estimate of PhD fellow monthly expenditures (in euro).

Housing (student room)
Facilities (copy cards, office expenditures)
Text books